Extension Specialist and Associate Professor
|1993||Ph.D. – Zoology, University of Wisconsin – Madison|
|1989||M.S. – Zoology, North Carolina State University|
|1983||B.A. – Biology, University of North Carolina – Asheville, Summa Cum Laude|
|1997- present||Extension Specialist – Alabama Cooperative Extension System, Auburn University|
|2002-present||Associate Professor –School of Fisheries, Aquaculture, and Aquatic Sciences, Auburn University|
|1997-2002||Assistant Professor/Extension Specialist – Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures, Auburn University|
|1993-1997||Post-doctoral Research Associate – The Ohio State University Fellowship, Aquatic Ecology Laboratory,
The Ohio State University
|Spring 1992||Visiting Lecturer, Introductory Fisheries Science – Department of Wildlife and Fisheries,
School of Natural Resources, University of Vermont
|—American Fisheries Society|
|—Alabama Chapter of the American Fisheries Society|
|—Association of Natural Resources Extension Professionals|
My research focuses on the basic understanding and application of ecological principles and mechanisms that shape aquatic communities and ecosystems. I work primarily with fishes and fisheries in small impoundments, larger reservoirs, rivers, and estuaries. I currently have projects throughout the state.
As an Extension Specialist / Associate Professor I lead Extension programming in the area of fisheries and aquatic sciences. I focus on pond management, recreational fisheries, aquatic conservation, and youth engagement. I am currently the coordinator for the Alabama Cooperative Extension System, Aquatic Resources- Program Priority Team. Listed below are links to some of my Extension products.
Internet Resources & Social media:
Cooperative Extension site with all our fish and water resources the website with our aquatic resource information
Facebook Page: Alabama Extension Fisheries and Pond Management
- Recreational Fish Pond Management in Alabama https://www.aces.edu/blog/tag/anr0577/
- Fisheries and Aquatic Plant Management YouTube videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkNoAmOtt__-Sywqk6qKINgNCNs73Wl3w
- Wright, R.A. 2014. Using Christmas Trees in Ponds. Video ACES – Fresh from the Field https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7iAoyHPfCw
- Walton, B., E. Brantley, and R. Wright. 2014. Alabama Aquatic Nuisance Species Series: Amazonian Apple Snail. ANR-2130 Alabama Cooperative Extension System.
- Wright, R.A. and C. Reeves. 2014. Freshwater Clams and Mussels Filter Feeders that Can Cause Problems in Your Pond. ANR-1340 Alabama Cooperative Extension System.
- Wright, R., M. Bransby, and S. Bartlett. 2013. Online relative weight calculator. ANR-2039. Alabama Cooperative Extension System.
- Wright, R.A. 2004. Using Grass Carp to Control Weeds in Alabama Ponds. ANR-452. Alabama Cooperative Extension System
- Wright, R.A. 2001. Liming fishponds. ANR-232. Alabama Cooperative Extension System.
- Wright, R.A. 2000. Relative weight: an easy-to-measure index of fish condition. ANR-1193. Alabama Cooperative Extension System.
recent courses taught
|FISH 5510 & 6510 Fisheries Biology and Management|
|FISH 5520 & 6520 Management of Small Impoundments|
- Hartline, N.R., D.R. DeVries, R.A. Wright, J.A. Stoeckel, and L.M. Horne. in press. Effect of temperature on respiratory responses to increasing hypoxia for five species of nongame stream fishes. Proceedings of the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies (24 text pages, 2 tables, 5 figures).
- Henderson, H.K*., R.A. Wright, D.R. DeVries, and M.J. Catalano. 2019. Evaluation of supplemental pellet feeding and threadfin shad addition on stable isotope signature and potential influence on fish growth in recreational fishing ponds. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies 6:35-43.
- Kemp, C.M., D.R. DeVries, and R.A. Wright. 2019. Freshwater predators on the edge: assessing the temporal and spatial variation in diet of largemouth bass in Mobile Bay Estuary, Alabama, USA. Marine and Coastal Fisheries 11:162-176
- Klimah, C.A., D.R. DeVries, and R.A. Wright. 2019. Swimming performance of estuarine and inland largemouth bass at varying salinities. Estuaries and Coasts 42:1202-1210.
- Roberts, C.M., D.R. DeVries, and R.A. Wright. 2018. Introduced yellow perch in two Southeastern US reservoirs ecological interactions with native fishes. Lake and Reservoir Management 34:141-153.
- Nelson, T.R., D.R. DeVries, R.A. Wright. 2018. Salinity and Temperature Effects on Element Incorporation of Gulf Killifish Fundulus grandis Otoliths. Estuaries And Coasts 41: 1164-1177.
- Adams, S.B., C. Roghair, C. Krause, M.L. Warren, Jr., J.A. Cochran, A. Dolloff, J. Moran, S.W. McGregor, G.A. Schuster, M. Gangloff, D.R. DeVries, M.R. Kendrick, G.L. Grove, and R.A. Wright. 2015. New crayfish species records from the Sipsey Fork drainage, including Lewis Smith Reservoir (Alabama, USA): native or introduced species? Freshwater Crayfish 21(1): 17-32.
- D. R. DeVries, R. A. Wright, D. C. Glover, T. M. Farmer, M. R. Lowe, A. J. Norris, and A. C. Peer. 2015. Largemouth bass in coastal estuaries: a comprehensive study from the Mobile-Tensaw River Delta, Alabama. In: M. D. Tringali, J. M. Long, T. W. Birdsong, and M. S. Allen, editors. Black bass diversity: multidisciplinary science for conservation. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland.
- Kasinak, J.E., C.J. Bisop, R.A. Wright, and A.E. Wilson. 2015. Grass carp do not consume the nuisance benthic cyanobacterium, Lyngbya wollei. Journal of Aquatic Plant Management 53:74-80.
- Nelson, T.R., D.R. DeVries, R.A. Wright, and J.E. Gagnon. Published online 2015. Fundulus grandis otolith microchemistry as a metric of estuarine discrimination and oil exposure. Estuaries and Coasts. 38:2044-2058
- Simcox, B.L., D.R. DeVries , and R.A. Wright. 2015. Migratory characteristics and passage of paddlefish at two southeastern U.S. lock-and-dam systems. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 144:456-466.
- Glover, D.C., D.R. DeVries, and R.A. Wright. 2013. Growth of largemouth bass in a dynamic estuarine environment: an evaluation of the relative effects of salinity, diet, and temperature. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 70: 485-501.
- Farmer, T.M., D.R. DeVries, R.A. Wright, and J.E. Gagnon. 2013. Using seasonal variation in otolith microchemical composition to indicate largemouth bass and southern flounder residency patterns across an estuarine salinity gradient. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 142:1415-1429.
- Patterson, J. T., S. D. Mims, and R. A. Wright. Effects of body mass and water temperature on routine metabolism of American paddlefish, Polyodon spathula. Journal of Fish Biology 82:1269-1280.
- Purcell, T.R., D.R. DeVries, and A. Wright. 2013. The relationship between shoreline development and resident fish communities in a southeastern US reservoir. Lake and Reservoir Management 29:270-278.
- Woodard, R., R.A. Wright, and D.R. DeVries. 2013. Growth and survival of largemouth bass following supplemental feeding of bluegill in small impoundments. North American Journal of Fisheries Management. 33:170-177.
- Glover, D. C., D. R. DeVries and R. A. Wright. Effects of temperature, salinity and body size on routine metabolism of coastal largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides. Journal of Fish Biology 81:1463-1478.
- Haley, N. V., III, A. Wright, D. R. DeVries, and M. S. Allen. 2012. Privately-owned small impoundments in central Alabama: a survey and evaluation of management techniques for largemouth bass and bluegill. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 32:1180-1190.
- Lowe, M.R., S.A. Ludsin, B.J. Fryer, R.A. Wright, D.R. DeVries, and T.M. Farmer. Response to “Comment on otolith microchemistry reveals substantial use of freshwater by southern flounder in the Northern Gulf of Mexico'” by Pedro Morais. Estuaries and Coasts 35: 907-910.
- Wright, R. A., and C. E. Kraft. 2012. Stocking strategies for recreational small impoundments. Pages 155–180 in J.W. Neal and D.W.Willis, editors. Small impoundment management in North America. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland.
- Lowe, M.R., D.R. DeVries, R.A. Wright, S.A. Ludsin, and B.J. Fryer. 2011. Otolith microchemistry reveals substantial use of freshwater by southern flounder in the Northern Gulf of Mexico. Estuaries and Coasts 34:630-639.
- Leonard, D.M., D.R. Devries, and R.A. Wright. Investigating interactions between channel catfish and other sport fishes in small impoundments. North American Journal of Fisheries Management. 30:732–741.
- Glover, D.C., D.R. DeVries, R.A. Wright and D.A. Davis. Sample preparation techniques for determination of fish energy density via bomb calorimetry: an evaluation using largemouth bass. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 139:671-675.
- Norris, A.J., D.R. DeVries, and R.A. Wright. Coastal estuaries as habitat for a freshwater species: exploring population-level effects of salinity on largemouth bass. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 139:610-625.
- Lowe, M.R., D.R. DeVries, R.A. Wright, S.A. Ludsin, and B.J. Fryer. 2009. Coastal largemouth bass movement in response to changing salinity. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 66: 2174–2188.
- DeVries, D.R., J.E. Garvey, and R.A. Wright. Early life history and recruitment. In: S.J. Cooke and D.P. Philipp, editors. Centrarchid Fishes: Diversity, Biology, and Conservation. Wiley-Blackwell, West Sussex
- Garvey, J.E., R.A. Wright, and E.A. Marschall. Searching for threshold shifts in spawner-recruit data. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 66: 312-320.
- Slaughter , J.E. IV, R.A. Wright, and D.R. DeVries. Latitudinal Influence on First-Year Growth and Survival of Largemouth Bass. North American Journal of Fisheries Management. 28:993-1000.
- Kim, G.W., P. Wintzer, T.K. Menker, R.A. Stein, J.M. Dettmers, R.A. Wright, and D.R. DeVries. 2007. Effect of detritus quality on growth and survival of gizzard shad (Dorosoma cepedianum): potential importance to benthic–pelagic coupling. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 64: 1805–1815.
- DeVries, D.R., R.A. Wright, and T.S. DeVries. Daphnia lumholtzi in the Mobile River Drainage, USA: Invasion of a habitat that experiences salinity. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 21:527-530.
- Peer, A.C., D.R. DeVries, and R.A. Wright. 2006. First-year growth and recruitment of coastal largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides): spatial patterns unresolved by critical periods along a salinity gradient. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 63: 1911-1924.
- Norris, A.J., R.A. Wright, D.R. DeVries, D.L Armstrong, Jr., and J. Zolczynski. Movement patterns of coastal largemouth bass in the Mobile-Tensaw River Delta, Alabama: a multi-approach study. Proceedings of the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies 59:200-216.
- Wright, R.A., D.R. DeVries, S. Cook, and N. Nichols. 2003. 2002 Alabama freshwater anglers survey. Proceedings of the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies 57:68-79.
- Slaughter, J.E. IV, R.A. Wright, and D.R. DeVries. The effects of age-0 body size on the predictive ability of a largemouth bass bioenergetics model. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 133:279-291.
- Micucci, S.M., J.E. Garvey, R.A. Wright, and R.A. Stein. 2003. Individual growth and foraging responses of age-0 largemouth bass to mixed prey assemblages during winter. Environmental Biology of Fishes 67:157-168.
- Irwin, B.J., D.R. DeVries, and R.A. Wright. Evaluating the potential for predatory control of gizzard shad by largemouth bass in small impoundments: a bioenergetics approach. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 132:913-924.
- Garvey J.E, D.R. Devries, R.A. Wright, J.G. Miner. Energetic adaptations along a broad latitudinal gradient: implications for widely distributed assemblages. Bioscience 53 (2): 141-150.
- Ferry, K.H. and R.A. Wright. Bythotrephes cederstroemi in Ohio reservoirs: evidence from fish diets. Ohio Journal of Science 102 (5):116––118.
- Garvey, J.E., R.A. Stein, R.A. Wright, and M. T. Bremigan. Exploring ecological mechanisms underlying largemouth bass recruitment along environmental gradients. pp 7-24. In: D.P. Phillipp and M. S. Ridgeway eds. Black bass: ecology, conservation, and management. American Fisheries Society, Symposium 31, Bethesda, MD.
- Weathers, K.C., M.J. Newman, D. Partridge, and R.A. Wright. Fish population and angler responses to a 406-mm minimum length limit for largemouth bass on Lake Eufaula (Walter F. George Reservoir) Alabama-Georgia. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies. 54:28-38.
- Grussing, M.D., D.R. DeVries, and R.A. Wright. Stock characteristics and habitat use of catfishes in regulated sections of four Alabama Rivers. Proceedings of the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies.
- Garvey, J.E., R.A. Wright, R.A. Stein, and K.H. Ferry. Evaluating how local- and regional-scale processes interact to regulate growth of age-0 largemouth bass. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 129:1044-1059.
- Fullerton, A.H., James E. Garvey, R.A. Wright, and Roy A. Stein. 2000. Overwinter Growth and Survival of Largemouth Bass: Interactions among Size, Food, and Winter Duration. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 129:1-12.
- Wright, R.A., J.E. Garvey, A.H. Fullerton, and R.A. Stein. Predicting how winter affects energetics of age-0 largemouth bass: how do current models fare?. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 128:603-612.
- Garvey, J.E., R.A. Wright, and R.A. Stein. Overwintering growth and survival of age-0 largemouth bass: revisiting the role of body size. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 55:2414-2424.
- Garvey, J.E., E.A. Marschall, and R.A. Wright. From star charts to stoneflies: detecting relationships in continuous bivariate data. Ecology 79:442-447.
- Wright, R.A., L.B. Crowder, and T.H. Martin. Selective predation by blue crabs on the gastropod Bittium varium: confirmation from opercula found in sediments. Estuaries 19:75-81.
- Crowder, L.B., R.A. Wright, K.A. Rose, T.H. Martin, and J.A. Rice. 1994. Direct and indirect effects of southern flounder predation on a spot population. pp 61-78. inJ. Stouder, K.L Fresh, and R.J. Feller, editors. Theory and application in fish feeding. ecology. Proceedings of Gutshop ’92. Belle Baruch Library in Marine Science.
- Kitchell, J.F., L.A. Eby, X. He, D.E. Schindler, and R.A. Wright. Predator-prey dynamics in an ecosystem context. Journal of Fish Biology. 45 (supplement A): 209-226.
- He, X., M.D. Scheurell, P.A. Soranno, and R.A. Wright. 1994. Recurrent response patterns of a zooplankton community to whole-lake fish manipulation. Freshwater Biology 32:61-72.
- He, X., J.R. Hodgson, J.F. Kitchell, R.A. Wright. Growth and diet composition of largemouth bass ( Micropterus salmoides ) from four experimental lakes. Internationale Vereingung für Theoretische und Angewandte Limnologie Verhandlungen 25:2092-2097.
- He, X., J.F. Kitchell, J.R. Hodgson, R.A. Wright, P.A. Soranno, D.M. Lodge, P.A. Cochran, D. Benkowski, and N. Bouwes. Roles of fish predation: Piscivory and planktivory. Pages 85-102 in S.R. Carpenter and J.F. Kitchell, editors. The trophic cascade in lakes. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- He, X., R.A. Wright, and J.F. Kitchell. 1993 Fish behavior and community responses to manipulation. Pages 69-84 inR. Carpenter and J.F. Kitchell, editors. The trophic cascade in lakes. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Wright, R.A., L.B. Crowder, and T.H. Martin. The effects of predation on the survival and size-distribution of estuarine fishes: an experimental approach. Environmental Biology of Fishes. 36:291-300.
- Carpenter, S.R., C.E. Kraft, R.A. Wright, X. He, P.A. Soranno, and J.R. Hodgson. Resilience and resistance of a lake phosphorus cycle before and after food web manipulation. American Naturalist 140(5):781-798.
- He, X., and R.A. Wright. An experimental study of piscivore-planktivore interactions: population and community responses to predation. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 49(6):1176-1183.
- Leucke, C., C.C. Lunte, R.A. Wright, D. Robertson, and A.S. McLain. Impacts of variation in planktivorous fish on abundance of daphnids: a simulation model of the Lake Mendota food web. Pages 407-426 in J.F. Kitchell, editor. Food web management: a case study of Lake Mendota. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Martin, T.H., R.A. Wright, and L.B. Crowder. Non-additive impact of blue crabs and spot on their prey assemblages. Ecology 70:1935-1942.
- Ollis, H.D., S. Diaz-Verson, L.N. Bell, J.O. Weese, C.I. Wei, and R.A. Wright. 2004 Biodegradable fishing lure and material. Patent # 6,753,004