|1998||Auburn University: Ph.D., Agricultural Economics|
|1985||Auburn University: M.Ag., Agricultural Economics|
|1984||Auburn University: M.S., Fisheries and Allied Aquaculture|
|1977||Allegheny College: B.S., Biology and Studio Arts|
|August 2014 – present||Professor, Auburn University, School of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Aquatic Sciences; Research 75% and Extension 25%|
|August 2008 – 14||Associate Professor, Auburn University, Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures; Research 75% and Extension 25%|
|August 2003 – 08||Associate Professor, Mississippi State University, Department of Agricultural Economics; Research 75%, Teaching 15%, and Extension 10%|
|August 1998 – 03||Assistant Professor, Mississippi State University, Department of Agricultural Economics|
|August, 1989 – 98||Senior Research Associate, Auburn University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology|
|May 1986 – 89||Associate Peace Corps Director for Agriculture Programs, U.S. Peace Corps, Tunis, Tunisia, North Africa|
|October 1985 – May ’86||Logistics Coordinator, International Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Agadez, Republic of Niger, West Africa|
|May 1984 – Sept. ’85||Research Assistant, Auburn University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology|
|January 1982 – June ’84||Research Associate, Auburn University, Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures|
|May 1978 – Oct. ’80||Fisheries Specialist Volunteer, U.S. Peace Corps, Republic of Niger, West Africa|
honors and awards
|President’s Outstanding Collaborative Units Award, Auburn University. 2017 “Food Entrepreneur Working Group (Jean Weese, Terry Hanson, Patti West, Glenn Loughridge, Jacqueline Kochak, Karen Hunley and Regina Crapps)”, May 22.|
|President’s Outstanding Collaborative Units Award, Auburn University. 2017. “Aquaponics Working Group (Terry Hanson, Jesse Chappell, Tung-shi Huang, David Blersch, Daniel Wells, Glenn Loughridge)”, May 22|
|USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture “2016 Partnership Award — Innovative Programs and Projects” presented to Terry Hanson, Auburn University Food Entrepreneur Working Group “For assisting aspiring and small food entrepreneurs by providing a central source of information and resources related to operating a food business,” October 6, 2016, Washington, D.C.|
|Major Advisor to Master’s student Steven Gratz who was awarded the AU School of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Aquatic Sciences Swingle Award for Master of Science Level Student, 2016|
|Major Advisor to Master’s student Steven Gratz who was awarded the AU School of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Aquatic Sciences Partridge Award, 2016|
|2016 Faculty Project Team Award — Aquaponics Team. Awarded by Auburn University’s College of Agriculture and Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station; Awardees: Terry Hanson, Jesse Chappell, Daniel Wells, David Blersch and Tung-shi Huang.|
|Grantsmanship Award 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, Auburn University College of Agriculture and the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station|
|2015 Project Team Award-Faculty: Food Entrepreneur Project Team, Awarded by Auburn University’s College of Agriculture and the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station|
|Grantsmanship Award 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015, Auburn University College of Agriculture|
|Awarded the top journal article award for 2013, North American Journal of Aquaculture|
|Project Team Award Pond-to-Plate, 2012, Auburn University College of Agriculture|
|College of Agriculture Dean’s Award for Excellence in Extension and Outreach, 2011-12|
|The top journal article in 2008, North American Journal of Aquaculture|
|International Association of Aquaculture Economics and Management Certificate of Appreciation – IAAEM Newsletter Editor, February, 200|
|American Agricultural Economics Association’s (AAEA) 2005 Distinguished Extension Award: Group Award|
|Awarded the 2004 Distinguished Service Award by the Catfish Farmers of MS|
|1998-present||American Agricultural Economics Association|
|2014-present||American Fisheries Society|
|1998-present||Southern Agricultural Economics Association|
|2006-present||Food Distribution Research Society|
|1998-present||International Association of Aquacultural Economics and Management|
|1990-present||World Aquaculture Society|
|1990-present||U.S. Aquaculture Society|
- Bioeconomics of columnaris vaccines in channel catfish aquaculture
- Sustainable production and economic performance of farming hybrid/channel catfish in an In-Pond Raceway System (IPRS)
- Examining the efficacy of a trivalent vaccine for simultaneous protection against Columnaris (COL), Enteric Septicemia of Catfish (ESC), and motile Aeromonas septicemia
- Aquaponics – A Sustainable Way Forward
- Pond-to-Plate Project – Field trials to combat virulent Aeromonas hydrophila
- Systems Modeling of Nitrogen Recycling in Multi-Trophic Aquaculture Production
- Field-Testing of a Rapid LAMP Assay to Detect the Marine Parasite Amyloodinium ocellatum in Commercial Aquaculture Facilities
- Economic Value of Recreational Fishing on Lake Eufaula (AL)/Walter F George (GA)
- Improving Aquaculture’s Value Through Enhanced Nutrient Management
- Use of Organic Minerals in Practical Diets for Nile Tilapia
- Breaking the Cycle: amending Aquafeeds to mitigate Aeromonas hydrophila outbreaks
- Evaluation of probiotic and prebiotic supplements with catfish, golden shiners, hybrid striped bass and tilapia under conditions of commercial production
- Assessment of the feasibility of reducing risks to U.S. aquaculture industries
- Investigation of catfish feed protein levels and economic impact to producers
- Economic impact of best management practices on catfish diseases
- Farm management and aquacultural costs of production
- Costs and benefits of controlling off-flavor in the U.S. catfish industry
- Estimation of bird depredation damage to the commercial catfish industry
- Consumer demand for aquaculture and seafood products
- Costs and benefits of ESC vaccination of catfish fingerlings
- Use of satellite imagery and GIS softwares to develop catfish acreage layers
- Welfare valuation of inherited traits in aquacultured catfish
- Impact of improved NWAC-103 strain of channel catfish to the industry
My extension program includes the broad umbrella “Pond-to-Plate” project that addresses the needs of the U.S. and Alabama farm-raised catfish industries. This project is conducts studies and outreach efforts that are multi-disciplinary in nature involving economics, business, production and marketing. Involvement of the private sector is a critical element that makes this project work. Examples of projects on-going are economic performance appraisals of intensive pond-based catfish culture systems, new technology introduction (in-pond raceway systems, gear to capture raceway fish waste for re-use, and initiatives to coordinate responses to catfish disease/health management). These efforts were developed with catfish industry representatives and represent their priority areas as well as concepts for the future needing fundamental research now. The goal is to assist the U.S. and Alabama farm-raised catfish industries transform itself into a modern livestock industry.
Recent courses taught
Without a teaching appointment, I direct Master of Science and Ph.D. students through their research programs and teach Special Problem (SP) that used in their research or for students desiring a more in-depth experience on an agreed upon topic and course structure; some examples are below:
|FISH 8990||Each Semester||Research and Dissertation|
|FISH 7990||Each Semester||Research and Thesis|
|FISH 7960||Fall 2016||SP — Developing Aquaculture Business Plans Internship|
|FISH 4920-003||Spring 2016||Internship|
|IDSC 4890-011||Fall 2015||Interdisciplinary Capstone Course — Rec. GOM Fishing|
|FISH 7960||Spring 2015||SP — Aquaculture Farm Management|
|FISH 7960-1||Summer 2015||DS — Spotted Bass Hatch Dates Growth|
|FISH 4960||Spring 2014||SP — Ent Bud Dev for Catfish IPRS and Int Pond Sys|
|FISH 7960-2||Summer 2013||SP — Age and Growth Analysis of Fish|
|FISH 7960-3||Summer 2013||SP — Floating In-Pond Raceway Construction Budgeting|
|FISH 7960-5||Spring 2012||SP — Aquatic Resource Economics|
|AGEC 7970-3||Spring 2012||SP — Econ Assess of AL Marine Industries Post Oil Spill|
|FISH 8960-3||Fall 2012||SP — Fish/Plant Greenhouse Economics|
|FISH 7960-2||Spring 2010||SP — Aquatic Resource Economics|
|FISH 8960-0||Fall 2010||SP — Catfish BMP Analysis|
|FISH 7960-2||Summer 2009||SP — Yield Verification BMPs|
- Novriadi, R., G. Salze, A. Abebe, T. Hanson, D.A. Davis. 2019. “Partial or total replacement of fish meal in the diets of Florida pompano Trachinotus carolinus.” Aquaculture Research 2019: 1-12. DOI: 10.1111/are/14029
- Fantini, L.E., R.A.C. Correa Filho, T.X. Martins, L.M. Laice, G.N. Seraphim, A.L.N. Silva, T. Hanson, J. A. Povh. 2019. “Growth curve comparison of native fish cachara (Pseudoplatystoma reticulatum) and cachapinta hybrid (P. reticulatum x Pseudoplatystoma corruscans).” Aquaculture 506 (2019) 70-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2019.03.020
- Maceina, M.J., Snellings, P.L., T.R. Hanson, D. Hite. 2019. “Sociodemographic and Economic Characteristics of Black Bass Anglers Participating in Different Tournament Types on Lake Guntersville, Alabama”. Journal of Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies 6:9-18.
- Cai, W., E. Willmon, F.A. Burgos, C.L. Ray, T. Hanson, C.R. Arias. 2019. “Biofilm and sediment are major reservoirs of virulent Aeromonas hydrophila (vAh) in catfish production ponds.” Journal of Aquatic Animal Health. DOI: 10.1002/aah.10056
- Roy, L.A., T.R. Hanson, L.B. Bott, J.A. Chappell. 2019. “Production and Economic Comparison of Single Versus Multiple Harvests in a Commercial In-Pond Raceway System in West Alabama Targeting two Market Outlets.” Journal of Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies 6:58-66.
- Ullman, C., M. Rhodes, T. Hanson, D. Cline, D.A. Davis. 2019. “Effects of Four Different Feeding Techniques on the Pond Culture of Pacific White Shrimp, Litopenaeus vannamei.” Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. vol. 50, No. 1. February. Doi: 10.1111/jwas.12531
- Roe, C.M., V.P.T.H. To, Y. Zhou, G. Salze, M.A. Rhodes, T. Hanson, D.A. Davis. 2019. “Improving high soy feed formulations for the Florida pompano Trachinotus carolinus through newer soy products and carbohydrase supplementation.” Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. doi: 10.1111/jwas.12575 , 2019; 50:406-419.
- Nguyen, L., R. Kubitza, S.M.R. Salem, T.R. Hanson, D.A. Davis. 2018. “Comparison of organic and inorganic microminerals in all plant diets for Nile tilapia Oreochromis niloticus. Aquaculture. 498(2019) 297-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2018.08.034
- Kumar, G., C.R. Engle, T.R. Hanson, C.S. Tucker, T.W. Brown, L.B. Bott, L.A. Roy, C.E. Boyd, M.S. Recsetar, J. Park, E.L. Torrans. 2018. “Economics of alternative catfish production technologies.” Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. doi: 10.1111/jwas.2555 .
- McCrummen, S.T., Y. Wang, T.R. Hanson, L. Bott, S. Liu. 2018. “Culture environment and the odorous volatile compounds present in pond-raised channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). Aquaculture International, Journal of the European Aquaculture Society. ISSN 0967-6120, Vol 26, No. 2 26:685-694. DOI 10.1007/s10499-018-0247-1.
- Novriadi, R., M. Rhodes, M. Powell, T. Hanson, D.A. Davis. 2017. Effects of soybean meal replacement with fermented soybean meal on growth, serum biochemistry and morphological condition of liver and distal intestine of Florida pompano Trachinotus carolinus. Aquaculture Nutrition. 2017;00:1–10. https://doi.org/10.1111/anu.12645.
- Novriadi, R., E. Spangler, M. Rhodes, T. Hanson and D.A. Allen. 2017. Effects of various levels of squid hydrolysate and squid meal supplementation with enzyme-treated soy on growth performance, body composition, serum biochemistry and histology of Florida pompano Trachinotus carolinus. Aquaculture 481 (2017) 85-93.
- Zhou, X. and T. Hanson. “Economic optimization of super-intensive biosecure recirculating shrimp production systems.” Aquaculture International. DOI 10.1007/s10499-017-0129-y.
- Abdelrahman, H., M.ElHady, A.Alcivar-Warren, S.Allen, R.Al-Tobasei, L.Bao, B.Beck, H.Blackburn, B.Bosworth, J.Buchanan, J.Chappell, W.Daniels, S.Dong, R.Dunham, E.Durland, A.Elaswad, M.Gomez-Chiarri, K.Gosh, X.Guo, P.Hackett, T.Hanson, D.Hedgecock, T.Howard, L.Holland, M.Jackson, Y.Jin, K.Kahlil, T.Kocher, T.Leeds, N.Li, L.Lindsey, S.Liu, Z.Liu, K.Martin, R.Novriadi, R.Odin, Y.Palti, E.Peatman, D.Proestou, G.Qin, B.Reading, C.Rexroad, S.Roberts, M.Salem, A.Severin, H.Shi, C.Shoemaker, S.Stiles, S.Tan, K.Tang, W.Thongda, T.Tiersch, J.Tomasso, W.Prabowo, R.Vallejo, H.vanderSteen, K.Vo1, G.Waldbieser, H.Wang, X.Wang, J.Xiang, Y.Yang, R.Yant, Z.Yuan, Q.Zeng and T.Zhou. 2017. “Aquaculture genomics, genetics and breeding in the United States: current status, challenges, and priorities for future research.” The Aquaculture Genomics, Genetics and Breeding Workshop. BioMed Central Genomics (2017) 18:191 pp.23. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313858655_Aquaculture_genomics_genetics_and_breeding_in_the_United_States_current_status_challenges_and_priorities_for_future_research_The_Aquaculture_Genomics_Genetics_and_Breeding_Workshop
- Liu, S., T. Liao, S.T. McCrummen, T. Hanson and Y. Wang. 2017. “Exploration of volatile compounds causing off-flavor in farm-raised channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) fillet.” Aquaculture International, (2017) 25:413-422.
- Robinson, D., D. Hite and T. Hanson. 2016. “Recreational Demand of Visits to the Gulf Coast Region.” September 15. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2839607
- Liu, S., T. Liao, S.T. McCrummen, T. Hanson and Y. Wang. 2016. “Exploration of volatile compounds causing off-flavor in farm-raised channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) fillet.” Aquaculture International, July. DOI: 10.1007/s10499-016-0038-5
- Li, Y., Y. Wang, C.E. Boyd, T.R. Hanson and S. Liu. “Evaluation and Optimization of Chemical Treatments for Reducing Yellow Discoloration of Channel Catfish (Ictalurus Punctatus) Fillets During Cold Storage.” Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology, DOI: 10.1080/10498850.2015.1099068.Link: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10498850.2015.1099068
- Rhodes, M.A., Y. Zhou, G.P. Salze, T.R. Hanson and D.A. Davis. 2016. “Development of plant-based diets and the evaluation of dietary attractants for juvenile Florida pompano Trachinotus carolinus L.” Aquaculture Nutrition, 2016; 1-11. DOI: 10.1111/anu.12474
- Liu, S., C. Courtwright, Y. Wang, T.R. Hanson. 2016. “Chemical Treatments to Reduce Off-Flavor in Farm-Raised Channel Catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) Fillet.” Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. June. DOI: 10.1111/jfpp.12886
- Danaher, J.J., J. M. Pickens, J.L. Sibley, J.A. Chappell, T.R. Hanson, C.E. Boyd. 2016. “Tomato seedling growth response to different water sources and a substrate partially replaced with dewatered aquaculture effluent.” International Journal of Recycling of Organic Waste in Agriculture, DOI 10.1007/s40093-016-0114-x ; http://www.springer.com/home?SGWID=0-0-1003-0-0&aqId=2988418&download=1&checkval=eeb70f99c494d2fdfa080fb0bd61a613 .
- Boxman, S.E., A. Kruglick, B. McCarthy, N.P. Brennan, M. Nystrom, S.J. Ergas, T. Hanson, K.L. Main and M.A. Trotz. 2015. “Performance evaluation of a commercial land-based integrated multi-trophic aquaculture system using constructed wetlands and geotextile bags for solids treatment.” Aquaculture Engineering, 69 (2015) 23-36.
- Bott, L.B., L.A. Roy, T.R. Hanson, J.A. Chappell and G.N. Whitis. 2015. “Research verification of production practices at an intensive aeration at a hybrid catfish operation.” North American Journal of Aquaculture, 77:4, 460-470, DOI: 10.108015222055.2015.1047543 ; http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15222055.2015.1047543 .
- Bebak, J., B. Wagner, B. Burnes, T. Hanson. 2015. “Farm size, seining practices, and salt use: Risk factors for Aeromonas hydrophila outbreaks in farm-raised catfish, Alabama, USA.” Preventive Veterinary Medicine 118:161–168.
- Maceina, M.J., T.R. Hanson, J.J. Buckingham and S.M. Sammons. 2015. “Angling effort on an embayment of Lake Guntersville, Alabama, before and after herbicide application.” J. Aquat. Plant Manage. 53:141-143.
- Lothrop, R.L., T.R. Hanson, S.M. Sammons, D. Hite and M.J. Maceina. 2014. “Economic Impact of a Recreational Striped Bass Fishery.” North American Journal of Fisheries Management, 34(2): 301-310.
- Brown, T.W., T.R. Hanson, J.A. Chappell and C.E. Boyd. 2014. “Economic Feasibility of an In-Pond Raceway System for Commercial Catfish Production in West Alabama.” North American Journal of Aquaculture, 76:79-89.
- Peterman, M.A., D.J. Cline, T.R. Hanson and J.A. Chappell. 2013. “Coloration Characteristics of Mechanically Processed Channel Catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) Fillets Held in Refrigerated Storage for Seven Days.” Journal of Applied Aquaculture, 25:3, 239-247.
- Hanson, T. and G. Nguyen. 2013. “Supermarket Sales of Crawfish and Competing Crustacean Products.” Journal of Food Distribution Research, 44(1), March, 52-61.
- Danaher, J.J, J.M. Pickens, J.L. Sibley, J.A. Chappell, T.R. Hanson and C.E. Boyd. (In press). “Petunia Growth Response to Container Substrate Amended with Dewatered Aquaculture Effluent. HortTechnology, 23(1):57-63.
- Nguyen, G.V., T.R. Hanson and C.M. Jolly. 2013. “A Demand Analysis for Crustaceans at the U.S. Retail Store Level.” Journal of Aquaculture Economics and Management, 17(3):208-218.
- Zagmutt-Vergara, F.J., S.H. Sempier, and T.R. Hanson. 2013. “Disease Spread Models to Estimate Highly Uncertain Emerging Diseases Losses for Animal Agriculture Insurance Policies: An Application to the U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish Industry.” Risk Analysis, October 33(10): 1924-1937.
- D’Abramo, L.R., T.R. Hanson, S.K. Kingsbury, J.A. Steeby and C.S. Tucker. 2013. “Production and Associated Economics of Fingerling-to-Stocker and Stocker-to-Growout Modular Phases for Farming Channel Catfish in Commercial-Size Ponds.” North American Journal of Aquaculture 75:1, 133-146.
- Hanson, T.R., G. Nguyen and C. Jolly. 2013. “Comparative Advantage of the US Farm-Raised Catfish Industry: A Cross-Regional Analysis.” Journal of Aquacultural Economics and Management. 17:87-101.
- Chidmi, B., T. Hanson and G. Nguyen. 2012. “Effect of Promotional Activities on Substitution Pattern and Market Share for Aquaculture Products.” Journal of Food Distribution Research, 43(1), March, 127-136.
- Chidmi, B., T. Hanson and G. Nguyen. 2012. “Substitutions Between US and Imported Fish and Seafood Products at the National Retail Level.” Marine Resource Economics 27(4): 359-370.
- Hanson, T.R. 2012. “Pond-to-Plate analysis of the U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish Industry.” Bulletin of Fisheries Research Agency No. 35, Japan Fisheries Research Agency, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan, January.
- Gallardo, K., D. Hudson and T. Hanson. 2012. “A Comparison of Choice Experiments and Actual Grocery Store Behavior: An Empirical application to Seafood Products.” Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 44,1(February 2012): 49-62.
- Sookying, D., F. S. D. Silva, D. A. Davis, and T. Hanson. 2011. Effects of Stocking Density on the Performance of Pacific White Shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei Cultured under Pond and Outdoor Tank Conditions Using a High Soybean Meal Diet. Aquaculture. 319: 231-239.
- Petrolia, D.R., S. Bhattacharjee and T.R Hanson. 2011. “Heterogeneous Evacuation Responses to Storm Forecast Attributes.” Natural Hazards Review, Vol. 12, No. 3, August, pp. 117-124.
- Hanson, T.R. and P. Rose. 2011. College Student’s Opinions of U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish. Journal of Food Distribution Research. Vol. XLII, No. 1, March: 67-71.