|2006||Ph.D., Fisheries and Aquaculture, Auburn University|
|2002||M.S., Soil and Water Science, University of California, Riverside|
|2000||B.S., Environmental Science and Geographical Information Systems, Samford University|
|January 2017 – present||Extension Aquaculture Specialist, Auburn University|
|June 2013 – January 2017||Extension Aquaculture Specialist, University of Arkansas, Pine Bluff|
|August 2006 – May 2013||Research Fellow, Auburn University|
Honors and awards
|2015||Best Reviewer Award, In recognition of meritorious service as an expert peer reviewer.
Journal of the World Aquaculture Society
|2012||AFBI Leadership Award, In Support of Research and Field Trial Coordination, Aquaculture & Fisheries Business Institute,
College of Agriculture, Auburn University
|2012||College of Agriculture Project Team Award, “Pond to Plate” Team, College of Agriculture, Auburn University|
|2005||2nd place Award for Best Student Oral Presentation, Annual Meeting of the World Aquaculture Society, Bali, Indonesia|
|2000||Brakefield Award in Biology, In recognition of excellence in the field of biology in terms of scholarship, interest in the study
of the life sciences, and enthusiasm for biological investigation, Samford University
|Catfish Farmers of America|
|World Aquaculture Society (U.S. Chapter; Latin American & Caribbean Aquaculture Chapter)|
|Alabama Inland Shrimp Producers Association|
My research activities are most often driven by the immediate needs of Alabama commercial aquaculture, in response to emerging industry and stakeholder issues. Being stationed off campus, in the heart of the Alabama catfish and inland marine shrimp industries, I am deeply involved in the transfer of emerging technology to fish producers and research demonstrations on commercial farms. Aquaculture production using traditional and alternative production technology, water quality, and aquatic animal nutrition are the primary focus areas of my research program. While I have worked with catfish and marine shrimp most often, I have conducted research with other commercially important species including largemouth bass, bluegill, blue crab, golden shiners, and several other freshwater and marine species. In addition to research activities, my laboratory provides field and logistical support to graduate students, scientists, and faculty conducting applied research on commercial farms in west Alabama.
My extension activities focus on providing support to commercial fish and shrimp farmers in west Alabama. My primary extension programs include catfish aquaculture and inland low salinity aquaculture. In my role as an Extension Aquaculture Specialist stationed at the Alabama Fish Farming Center, I serve as a liaison between the fish farming industry and faculty on campus at Auburn University. The primary goal of my program is to enhance the biological and economical sustainability of Alabama and U.S. catfish farming industries.
- Park J, Roy LA, Renukdas N, Luna T. 2017. Evaluation of a biofloc system for intensive culture of fathead minnows Pimephales promelas. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society, in press.
- Park J, Renukdas N, Luna T, Roy LA. 2017. Maximum yield approximation and size distribution patterns of largemouth bass fingerlings Micropterus salmoides reared in a semi-closed indoor system. Aquaculture Research. 48(3):780-791.
- Stone NM, Kelly AM, Roy LA. 2016. A fish of weedy waters: golden shiner biology and culture. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. 47(2):152-200.
- Brown TW, Mischke CC, Roy LA, Li M. 2016. A length-weight relationship for pond-raised hybrid catfish fingerlings. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. 47(1):93-96.
- Bott LB, Roy LA, Hanson TR, Chappell JA, Whitis GN. 2015. Research verification of production practices at an intensively aerated hybrid catfish operation in west Alabama. North American Journal of Aquaculture. 77(4):460-470.
- Park J, Renukdas N, Luna T, Roy LA. 2015. The effect of stocking density on size dispersal and growth performance of largemouth bass fingerlings in a recirculating system. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. 46(3):283-291.
- Gutiérrez-Salazar GJ, Galaviz-Silva L, Guzmán-Sáenz FM, Hernández-Acosta M, Roy LA. 2015. Enteritis hemocítica en Litopenaeus vannamei (Crustácea Decápoda) en cultivo de baja salinidad en Tamaulipas, México (Hemocytic enteritis in Litopenaeus vannamei (Crustacea, Decapoda) raised in low salinity water in Tamaulipas, Mexico). Hidrobiológica. 25(1):139-145.
- Antony J, Harikrishna V, Saharan N, Reddy AK, Lakra WS, Roy LA. 2015. Effects of salinity and Na+/K+ ratio on osmoregulation and production of black tiger prawn (P. monodon, Fabricius, 1798) juveniles reared in inland saline water. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. 46(2):171-182.
- Park J, Heikes D, Recsetar M, Roy LA. 2014. Performance evaluation and engineering considerations for a modular- and culvert-based paddle wheel water circulator for split-pond systems. Aquacultural Engineering. 61:1-8.
- Jirsa D, Davis DA, Barrows F, Roy LA, Drawbridge M. 2014. Response of White Seabass, Atractoscion nobilis to practical diets with varying levels of protein. North American Journal of Aquaculture. 76(1):24-27.
- Hu B, Roy LA, Davis DA. 2013. Correlations of xanthophylls in catfish fillets, plankton, shad and snails in catfish production ponds in west Alabama. Aquaculture. 402-403:46-49.
- Zhu X, Davis DA, Roy LA, Samocha TM, Lazo JP. 2013. Response of the Pacific white shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei) to three sources of solvent extracted soybean meal. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. 44(3):396-404.
- Perez-Velazquez M, González-Félix M, Davis DA, Roy LA. Zhu X. 2013. Studies on the thermal and haline influences on growth and survival of Litopenaeus vannamei and Litopenaeus setiferus. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. 44(2):229-238.
- Roy LA, Whitis GN, Walton WC. 2012. Demonstration of blue crab Callinectes sapidus culture in inland low salinity waters of west Alabama. North American Journal of Aquaculture. 74(4):453-456.
- Perez-Velazquez M, Davis DA, Roy LA, González-Félix M. 2012. Effect of water temperature and Na+:K+ ratio on physiological and production parameters of Litopenaeus vannamei in low salinity water. Aquaculture. 342-343:13-17.
- Roy LA, Davis DA, Whitis GN. 2012. Effect of feeding rate and pond primary productivity on growth of Litopenaeus vannamei reared in inland saline waters of west Alabama. North American Journal of Aquaculture. 74(1):20-26.
- Samocha TM, Davis DA, Roy LA, Carpenter B, Bullis RA. 2011. The effect of non-marine HUFA supplementation with fish oil removal on growth and survival of the Pacific white shrimp, Litopenaeus vannamei. Aquaculture Nutrition.17:518-525.
- Paz P, Roy LA, Davis DA, Quintero HE. 2011. Survival of post-larval Litopenaeus vannamei following acclimation to low salinity waters at different temperatures. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. 42(4):575-579.
- Ghanawi J, Roy LA, Davis DA, Saoud IP. 2011. Effects of dietary lipid levels on growth performance of marbled spinefoot rabbitfish Siganus rivulatus. Aquaculture. 310:395-400.
- Roy LA, Davis DA, Saoud IP, Boyd CA, Pine HJ, Boyd CE. 2010. Shrimp culture in inland low salinity waters. Reviews in Aquaculture. 2:191-208.
- Zhou P, Davis DA, Lim C, Yildirim-Aksoy M, Paz P, Roy LA. 2010. Pond demonstration of production diets using high levels of distiller’s dried grains with solubles with or without lysine supplementation for channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus. North American Journal of Aquaculture. 72:361-367.
- Quintero HE, Roy LA. 2010. Practical Feed Management in Semi-Intensive Systems for Shrimp Culture. pp. 443-454, Book chapter, In: The Shrimp Book. Victoria Alday-Sanz, Editor. Nottingham University Press. Nottingham, UK. 920 pp.
- Roy LA, Davis DA. 2010. Requirements for the culture of the Pacific white shrimp, Litopenaeus vannamei, in low salinity waters: water modification and nutritional strategies for improving production. pp. 61-78 In: (Editors) L. E. Cruz-Suárez, D. Ricque-Marie, M. Tapia-Salazar, M.G. Nieto-López, D. A. Villareal-Cavazos, and J. Gamboa-Delgado. Avances en Nutrición Acuícola X. Memorias del Decimo Simposio Internacional de Nutrición Acuícola. Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León, Monterrey, Nuevo León, México. Nov. 8-10.
- Roy LA, Davis DA,Whitis GN. 2009. Pond-to-pond variability in post-larval shrimp, Litopenaeus vannamei, survival and growth in inland low salinity waters of west Alabama. Aquaculture Research. 40:1823-1829.
- Roy LA, Davis DA, Nguyen TN, Saoud IP. 2009. Supplementation of chelated magnesium to diets for Litopenaeus vannamei reared in low salinity waters of west Alabama. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. 40(2):248-254.
- Roy LA, Bordinhon A, Sookying D, Davis DA, Brown TW, Whitis GN. 2009. Demonstration of alternative feeds for Litopenaeus vannamei reared in low salinity waters of west Alabama. Aquaculture Research. 40:496-503.
- Davis DA, Roy LA, Sookying D. 2008. Improving the effectiveness of shrimp feeds. pp. 271-280 In: (Editors) L. E. Cruz Suárez, D. Ricque Marie, M. Tapia-Salazar, M.G. Nieto-López, D.A. Villareal-Cavazos, J. P. Lazo, and M.T. Viana. Avances en Nutrición Acuícola IX. Memorias del Noveno Simposio Internacional de Nutrición Acuícola. Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León, Monterrey, Nuevo León, México. Nov. 24-26.
- Saoud IP, Roy LA, Davis DA. 2007. Supplementation of chelated potassium and arginine to diets of Litopenaeus vannamei reared in low salinity waters of west Alabama. North American Journal of Aquaculture. 69:265-270.
- Roy LA, Saoud IP, Davis DA, Henry RP. 2007. Branchial carbonic anhydrase activity and ninhydrin positive substances in the Pacific white shrimp, Litopenaeus vannamei, acclimated to low and high salinities. Comparative Biochemistry & Physiology. 147A:404-411.
- Roy LA, Davis DA, Saoud IP, Henry RP. 2007. Supplementation of potassium, magnesium, and sodium chloride in practical diets for the Pacific white shrimp, Litopenaeus vannamei, reared in low salinity water. Aquaculture Nutrition. 13(2):104-113.
- Roy LA, Davis DA, Saoud IP, Henry RP. 2007. Effects of varying levels of aqueous potassium and magnesium on survival, growth, and respiration in the Pacific white shrimp, Litopenaeus vannamei, reared in low salinity water. Aquaculture. 262(2-4):461-469.
- Roy LA, Davis DA, Saoud IP. 2006. Effect of lecithin and cholesterol supplemented to practical diets for Litopenaeus vannamei reared in low salinity water. Aquaculture. 257(1-4):446-452.
- Saoud IP, Davis DA, Roy LA, Phelps R. 2005. Evaluating the benefits of size sorting tilapia fry before stocking. Journal of Applied Aquaculture. 17(4):71-84.
- Sapozhnikova Y, Zubcov N, Hungerford S, Roy LA, Boicenco N, Zubcov E, Schlenk D. 2005. Evaluation of pesticides and metals in fish of the Dniester River, Moldova. Chemosphere. 60(2):196-205.
- Roy LA, Steinert S, Greenstein D, Bay S, Sapozhnikova Y, Bawardi O, Leifer I, Schlenk D. 2003. Biochemical effects of petroleum exposure in hornyhead turbot (Pleuronichthys verticalis) exposed to a gradient of sediments collected from a natural petroleum seep in CA, USA. Aquatic Toxicology. 65(2):159-169.
- Roy LA, Armstrong JL, Sakamoto K, Steinert S, Perkins E, Johnson L, Lomax D, Schlenk D. 2003. The relationships of biochemical endpoints to histopathology, and population metrics in feral flatfish species collected near the municipal outfall of Orange County, CA. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 22(6):1309-1317.