|1995||Ph.D. in Zoology, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, Carbondale, Illinois. (Minor in Statistics)|
|1990||M.S. in Zoology, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, Carbondale, Illinois.|
|1987||B.S. in Biology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa.|
|March 2019-present||Extension Specialist III/Research Professor Auburn University|
|June 2015-Feb 2019||Aquaculture Extension Unit Leader, University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff|
|Jan 2014 – Feb 2019||Interim Director, Fish Disease Laboratory-Pine Bluff, University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff|
|July 2012- Feb 2019||Associate Director, Aquaculture/Fisheries Center, University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff|
|July 2012-Feb 2019||Extension Fish Health Specialist III, University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff|
|Dec 2012-June 2015||Graduate Student Coordinator for the Department of Aquaculture and Fisheries, University of Arkansas|
|Nov 2007-June 2012||Extension Fish Health Specialist II, University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff|
|July 2003-Oct 2007||Assistant Professor, Southern Illinois University|
|July 2003||Associate Professor, Mississippi State University|
|Jan 1998-June 2003||Assistant Professor, Mississippi State University|
|Jan 1996- Jan 1998||Vice President of Operations and Plant Manager for The Great Black Creek Fish Company, Black Creek, WI|
|Aug 1996||Instructor, Department of Zoology Southern Illinois University|
|May 1995- Aug 1996||Researcher III for Cooperative Fisheries Research Laboratory, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale|
honors and awards
|2016||Editor’s Choice Paper, Journal of the World Aquaculture Society (Volume 47, Issue 2) for A Fish of Weedy Waters: Golden Shiner Biology and Culture|
|2014||University Outreach and Engagement Award, University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff|
|2012||Outstanding Camtasia Video Oscar, Digital Media Academy, Fayetteville, AR June 25-29, 2012|
|2012||Overall MVP Oscar, Digital Media Academy, Fayetteville, AR June 25-29, 2012|
|2011||Certificate of Appreciation, US Aquaculture Society, for outstanding service and contributions as Vice President and Secretary Treasurer, 2008-2011.|
|2007||Most Significant Paper in the North American Journal of Aquaculture for 2006.|
|2000||Most Significant Paper in the North American Journal of Aquaculture for 1999.|
|1997||Finalist for the best paper submitted to The Progressive Fish Culturist, a publication of the American Fisheries Society|
|1996||Honorable Mention for Outstanding Dissertation submitted for 1995 to Southern Illinois University|
|1995||Richard Kudo Dissertation Award (Best Dissertation submitted to Department of Zoology) from Southern Illinois University|
|1994||George Blackwelder Award (Outstanding Scholar in Zoology) from Southern Illinois University|
|1993-1994||Southern Illinois University Dissertation Research Award|
|1993||Best Student Paper Award from the US Chapter of the World Aquaculture Society Meeting, Hilton Head, South Carolina|
|1993||Invited Researcher to the Edwin W. Pauley Summer Program in Marine Biology at Coconut Island, Hawaii|
|1992||Skinner Memorial Award from the American Fisheries Society|
|1992||Invited Researcher to the Edwin W. Pauley Summer Program in Marine Biology at Coconut Island, Hawaii|
American Fisheries Society
Fish Culture Section, Past President
Fish Physiology Section
Fish Health Section
World Aquaculture Society
United States Aquaculture Society
Catfish Farmers of Arkansas
National Aquaculture Association
Striped Bass Growers Association
Arkansas Bait and Ornamental Fish Growers Association
Catfish Farmers of America
National Aquaculture Extension Steering Committee
As an Extension Specialist, my research focuses around the disease issues that are currently plaguing the aquaculture industries in west Alabama. The majority of the catfish and shrimp production occurs in here, therefore transferring technologies and best management practices to reduce or prevent disease is my primary mission. On-farm research demonstrations are vital for the producers to determine if a technology or management practice will work for them. Although catfish and shrimp are the major aquaculture industries in west Alabama, I have considerable experience in fish health with other species, including baitfish, largemouth bass, hybrid striped bass, black crappie, white crappie, bluegill and redear sunfish just to name a few. I was the Director for one of seven USDA/APHIS approved laboratories in the United States.
The primary focus of my extension activities is to provide fish health support to the catfish and shrimp industries in west Alabama. Stationed at the Alabama Fish Farming Center in Greensboro, I serve as a liaison and collaborating partner with faculty members from Auburn University.
Extension Publications and Popular Articles
- Kelly, A.M., M. Kearby and L.A. Roy. 2018. Predation by lesser scaup on baitfish and sportfish ponds in Arkansas. Extension Fact Sheet. FSA9623.
- Kelly, A.M. 2018. New faculty join UAPB Aquaculture/Fisheries Department. 35(1): 2
- Kelly, A.M. 2018. Lacey Act challenge by U.S. Association of Reptile Keepers has implications for Aquaculture transport between states. 35(1): 1
- van Senten J., C.R. Engle, A.M. Kelly and L.A. Roy. 2016. Cost of regulations on producers of baitfish and sportfish in Arkansas. Arkansas Cooperative Extension System Technical Bulletin. ETB261.
- Quintero, H., D. Bush, D. Brewer, and A.M. Kelly. 2018. Evaluation of channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) fry production in an indoor hatchery system. Arkansas Aquafarming. Submitted.
- Dorman, L., G. Selden and A.M. Kelly. 2018 Performance of the intense aeration catfish verification ponds for 2016. Arkansas Aquafarming, 35(2): 1-2
- Clements, S., B. Davis, B. Dorr, K.C. Hanson-Dorr, L.A. Roy, A.M. Kelly, and C. Engle. 2017. Collaborative research on foraging habits and the economic impact of scaup on commercial baitfish and sportfish farms in Arkansas. The Wildlife Society, Southeastern Section Newsletter 59:13.
- Quintero, H., L. Roy, A. Kelly, J. Park, and D. Heikes. 2017. Comparison of different pond production systems for raising largemouth bass. Arkansas Aquafarming 34(1)1-2
- Smith, M.A., A.M. Kelly and L.A. Roy 2017. Know when to purchase your feed trained largemouth bass fingerlings. Buckeye Aquafarming 2(1):7
- Van Senten, J., C. Engle, L.A. Roy, and A.M. Kelly. 2017. Inefficiency factors and economic impact of baitfish and sportfish production. Arkansas Aquafarming 34(1): 5-6.
- Roy, L.A., N.M. Stone, and A.M. Kelly. 2016. Control of bullfrogs and their tadpoles on commercial fish farms. FSA9619
- Jones, S., N. Stone, A.M. Kelly, G. Selden, B. Timmons, J. Whisenhunt, and M. Oliver. 2016. Farm pond management for recreational fishing. MP360.
- Clements, S. B. Davis, B. Door, L. Roy, A. Kelly, and C. Engle. 2016. New study underway to estimate the impact of lesser scaup on Arkansas’ baitfish industry. Arkansas Aquafarming 33(3):2
- Luna, T., J. Park, L. Roy and A.M. Kelly. 2016 Effect of water turnover rate on hybrid catfish production and water quality in split ponds. Arkansas Aquafarming 33(2): 1-2.
- Roy, L.A., M. Kearby, M.A. Smith, A.M. Kelly, H. Park, and M. Hoy. 2016. Lesser scaup predation on Arkansas sportfish farms. Arkansas Aquafarming 33(2): 3.
- Kelly, A.M. 2016. UAPB fish lab obtains APHIS approval. Aquafarming. 33(2):5
- Kelly, A.M. 2016. 2015 Disease trends in farm-raised fish in Arkansas. Aquafarming. 33(2):8
- Recsetar, M. and A. M. Kelly. 2015. Is aquaponics for you? Realities and potentials for Arkansas. FSA9618.
- Kelly, A.M. 2015. Species Profile: Hybrid crappie. Southern Regional Aquaculture Center Factsheet No. 7212
- Kelly, A.M. 2015. Some Regulations for the Use of Small Unmanned Aircraft in Aquaculture. Arkansas Aquafarming 32(3):8
- Roy, L.A., M. Kearby, A.M. Kelly, and M. Hoy. 2015. Predation by lesser scaup on baitfish at commercial farms during the winter of 2014. Arkansas Aquafarming 32(3): 1-2
- Kelly, Anita M. 2015. Dr. Nilima Renukdas Joins UAPB Fish Disease Diagnostic Lab. 32(2):2
- Kelly, Anita M. 2015. Carole Engle and Nathan Stone Retire from UAPB. Arkansas Aquafarming 32(2):8
- Roy, L.A., A.M. Kelly, M. Kearby, and M. Hoy. 2014. Collection of lesser scaup on Arkansas baitfish and sportfish farms in early 2014. Arkansas Aquafarming 31(1):2.
- Kelly, Anita M. 2014. Dr. Carole Engle receives US Aquaculture Society Distinguished Service Award. Volume 31(2):3.
- Roy, Luke A., Anita M. Kelly, Michael Kirby, and Michael Hoy. 2014. Collection of Lesser Scaup on Arkansas baitfish and sportfish ponds. Arkansas Aquafarming 31(2):2
- Kelly, Anita M. 2014. Aquaculture Pioneer and Arkansas Native, Jim Malone Jr. Dies. Volume 31(1):1
- Kelly, A.M. 2013. Medicated feed for food fish. Southern Regional Aquaculture Center, Publication No. 473.
- Kelly, Anita. 2013. Hot Temperatures Led to Warmer Pond Temperatures. Arkansas Aquafarming Vol 30(1):5
- Kelly, Anita. 2013. New Markets for Largemouth Bass Open in New York. Arkansas Aquafarming Vol 30(1):7
- Kelly, Anita. 2013. Two Join Aquaculture/Fisheries Center of Excellence at UAPB. Arkansas Aquafarming Vol 30(2):1
- Roy, Luke A., Anita M. Kelly, Carole R. Engle, and Nathan Stone. 2013. Unusual Fish Losses Observed by Arkansas Baitfish/Sportfish Farmers During the Winter of 2012/2013. Arkansas Aquafarming Vol 30(2):4-6.
- Kelly, Anita M. 2012. pH and your Aquaponics System. Mums the Word, Lonoke County Master Gardener Newsletter, Feb 2012
- Kelly, Anita M. 2012. Top ten gardening tips for spring. Mums the Word, Lonoke County Master Gardener Newsletter, March 2012
- Kelly, Anita M. 2012. Aquaponics for the Backyard- informational booklet for Advanced Master Gardener Course
- Kelly, Anita M. 2011. Pyrotechnic permit required for explosive pest control devices. Arkansas Aquafarming 28(1):1.
- Kelly, Anita M. 2011. FSA programs for aquaculture producers. Arkansas Aquafarming 28(1):4.
- Kelly, Anita M. 2011. Stocking fish in farm ponds. Arkansas Aquafarming 28(2):3-4.
- Kelly, Anita M. 2011. Excessive heat and assistance available. Arkansas Aquafarming 28(2):6.
- Kelly, Anita M. 2011. UAPB hosts aquatic sciences day. Arkansas Aquafarming 28(2):8.
- Kelly, Anita M. 2010.The Nitrogen Cycle and Its Importance to Aquaponics. Mums the Word Oct 2010
- Kelly, Anita M. 2010. pH in Your Aquaponic System- The Ups and Downs. Mums the Word Nov 2010.
- Kelly, Anita M. 2010. Aquaponic Systems and Media. Mums the Word Dec. 2010.
- Kelly, A.M. 2010. Aquaponics Corner: The Start of Yet Another Obsession. Lonoke County Master Gardener Newsletter. September 2010.
- Kelly, A. M. 2010. Drug Use in Aquaculture. Arkansas Aquafarming 27(1):4-5.
- Kelly, A.M. 2009. The United States Aquaculture Society Awards – An Underutilized Benefit for Chapter Members. World Aquaculture 40 (3):14-15.
- Kelly, A.M. 2004. Channel catfish broodfish management. Southern Regional Aquaculture Center Publication No. 1802. Stoneville, Mississippi.
- Kelly, A.M. and H. Schramm. 2002. Designer Genes. North American Fisherman (March) 15(2):67.
- Kelly, A.M. and C.C. Kohler. 2001. Yellow Perch Culture – Aquaculture Potential Remains Unproven. Global Aquaculture Advocate (October) 4(5):77.
- Kelly, A.M. 2000. Investigations into biological control of a parasitic trematode in commercial catfish ponds in Mississippi. National Warmwater Aquaculture Center News (June) Vol. 3, No. 1:1
- Kelly, A.M. 2000. Yellow perch culture- manna or mania? World Aquaculture Magazine (June) Vol. 31, No. 2:14.
- Kelly, A.M. 2000. Black Carp: Another Black Eye for the Aquaculture Industry? American Fisheries Society, Fish Culture Section Newsletter, May issue.
- Kelly, A. M. 1999. Simazine no longer approved for aquatic use. The Catfish Journal (Jan.) Vol. XIII, No. 5:9.
- Roy, L.A., S. Rawles, A.M. Kelly, N. Stone, J. Park, and C.D. Webster. 2019. The effects of different winter feeding regimens on growth, survival, and fatty acid composition of Fathead Minnows Pimephales promelas and Golden Shiners Notemigonus crysoleucas. North American Journal of Aquaculture. In Press
- Jenkins, J.A., M.D. Chauvin, D. Johnson, B.L. Brown, J. Bailey, A.M. Kelly, and B.T. Kinter. 2019. Defensible standardized ploidy assessments for grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella, Cyprinidae) intercepted from the commercial supply chain. Great Lakes Research 45:371-383.
- Roy, L.A., S.D. Rawles, A.M. Kelly, N. Stone, A. Haukenes, and C.D. Webster. 2019. Feeding regime has little impact on fatty acid composition and weight loss of Hybrid Crappie Pomoxis nigromaculatus x Pomoxis annularis and Redear Sunfish Lepomis microlophus at low (winter) water temperatures when fed a non-commercial diet of blood worms. North American Journal of Aquaculture. On-line 8 Jan 2019.
- Quintero, H., L.A. Roy, J. Park, A.M. Kelly and D. Heikes. 2019. Evaluation of alternative pond production systems for raising largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. Published on-line 1 Jan 2019.
- Egnew, N., N. Renukdas, Y. Ramena, A.M. Kelly, R.T. Lochmann, and A.K. Sinha. 2019. Insights into physiological, metabolic nitrogen excretion, ion-regulatory and molecular defensive strategies in largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) to long-term sublethal ammonia toxicology. Aquatic Toxicology 207:72-82.
- Roy, L.A., S.D. Rawles, A.M. Kelly, C.D. Webster, N. Stone, and A. Haukenes. 2017. Effect of winter feeding frequency on growth, survival, and fatty acid composition of juvenile bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus) and hybrid bluegill (L. cyanellus x L. macrochirus). Aquaculture 479: 780-789.
- Jenkins, J.A., R. Draugelis-Dale, R.P. Glennon, A.M. Kelly, B.L. Brown, H.M. Oliver, and J.R. Morrison. 2017. An accurate method for measuring triploidy of larval fish spawns. North American Journal of Aquaculture 79:224-237.
- Baumhoer, B.M. and A.M. Kelly. 2016. Survival, age-0 abundance, and growth of black crappie and hybrid crappie in 0.1-ha earthen ponds. North American Journal of Fisheries Management. 36:447-451.
- Stone, N.M., A. M. Kelly, and L. A. Roy. 2016. A fish of weedy waters: Golden shiner biology and culture. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. 42:152-200.
- Farmer, B.D., D. L. Straus, B.B. Beck, and A.M. Kelly. 2015. The effectiveness of flow-through and/or static treatments on the survival of golden shiners and fathead minnows infected with Flavobacterium columnare. North American Journal of Aquaculture 77:90-95.
- Chen, Y., A.M. Kelly, and S. Kumaran. 2014. Effects of abrupt pH changes on survival of goldfish Carassius auratus fry. North American Journal of Aquaculture 76:36-38
- Sims, D.W., A.M. Kelly and P.S. Wills. 2013. Effects of Different Feed Habituation Methods on Survival and Feed Habituation Success of Largemouth Bass Micropterus salmoides Under Commercial Production Conditions. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society 44:743-749.
- Chatakondi, N.G. and A.M. Kelly. 2013. Oocyte diameter and plasma vitellogenin as predictive factors to identify potential channel catfish Ictalurus punctatus suitable for induced spawning. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society 44:115-123.
- Adhikari, P.L., N. Stone, A. M. Kelly and H. K. Thomforde. 2012. Characteristics of Effluents from Baitfish Holding Sheds in Central Arkansas. North American Journal of Aquaculture 74:376–384.
- Glennon, R. P., B. Gomelsky, K. J. Schneider, A. M. Kelly and A. Haukenes 2012. Evidence of female heterogamety in largemouth bass, based on sex ratio of gynogenetic progeny. North American Journal of Aquaculture 74:537-540.
- Kelly, A.M. and C.C. Kohler. Nutritional and physiological strategies for sustainable aquaculture. North American Journal of Aquaculture 68:113-115.
- Green, C.C. and A.M. Kelly. 2009. Effects of the estrogen mimic genistein as a dietary component on sex differentiation and ethoxyresorufin-O-deethylase (EROD) activity in channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). Fish Physiology and Biochemistry 35:377-384.
- Stahl, M.T. G.W. Whitledge and A.M. Kelly. 2009. Reproductive biology of the middle Mississippi River shovelnose sturgeon: insights from seasonal and age variation in plasma sex steroid and calcium concentrations. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 25:75-82.
- Green, C.C. and A.M. Kelly. 2008. The Effects of the Exogenous Soyabean Phyto-oestrogen Genistein on Sperm Quality, ATP Content, and Fertilization Rates in Channel Catfish Ictalurus punctatus (Rafinesque) and Walleye Sander vitreus (Mitchill). Journal of Fish Biology 72:2485-2499.
- Barrero, M., B.C. Small, L.R. D’Abramo, G.C. Waldbeiser, L.A. Hanson, and A.M. Kelly. 2007. Effect of carp pituitary extract and LHRH on reproductive indices and spawning of 3 year-old channel catfish. North American Journal Aquaculture 70:138-146.
- Barrero, M., B. Small, L. D’Abramo, L. Hanson, and A. M. Kelly. 2006. Comparison of estradiol, testosterone, vitellogenin and cathepsin profiles among young adult channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) females from four selectively bred strains. Aquaculture 264:390-397.
- Ledford, J.J. and A.M. Kelly. 2006. A comparison of black carp, redear sunfish, and blue catfish as biological controls of snail populations. North American Journal of Aquaculture. 68: 339-347. Chosen as “best paper of the year in NAJA.”
- Ohs, C.L., L.R. D’Abramo, L. Petrie-Hanson, and A.M. Kelly. 2006. Control of sexual differentiation of freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii through dietary administration of dopamine hydrochloride. Journal of Applied Aquaculture 18(3): 19-32.
- Ohs, C.L., L.R. D’Abramo, and A.M. Kelly. 2006. Effect of dietary administration of 17α-methyltestosterone on the sex ratio of post-larval freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii during the nursery stage of culture. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society 37(3): 328-333.
- Mitchell A. J. and A. M. Kelly. 2006. The public sector role in the establishment of grass carp populations in the United States. Fisheries 31:113-121.
- Kelly, A.M. and C.C. Green. 2006. Binding affinities for hepatic nuclear estrogen receptors for genistein in channel catfish. North American Journal of Aquaculture 68:160-167.
- Kelly, A.M., W. Holmes, and T. Schultz. 2006. An environmentally benign method to reduce off-flavor terpenoids in aquaculture: Initial laboratory studies. North American Journal of Aquaculture 68: 249-252.
- Green, C.C., A.M. Kelly, and N. Chatakondi. 2006. Results of first experiments on application of electrical stimulation of blue catfish testes for production of channel catfish × blue catfish hybrids. North American Journal of Aquaculture 68:206-210.
- McDonald, C.G., S. Demarais, T.A. Cambell, H.F. Janssen, V.G. Allen, and A.M. Kelly. 2005. Factors affecting occurrence of broken antler tines in white-tailed deer. The Southwestern Naturalist 50(3): 356-362.
- Kelly, A.M. and C.C. Kohler. 2002. Utilization of Micro-Aid (Yucca sp.) as a feed additive for channel catfish Ictalurus punctatus and the tilapia hybrid Oreochromis mossambicus X O. niloticus. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society 34:156-161.
- Kelly, A.M., C.C. Kohler, C. E. Ayala, and D.M. Hughes. 2002. Menhaden meal in practical diets for channel catfish fry and fingerlings reared in intensive systems. North American Journal of Aquaculture. 64:290-293.
- Kelly, A.M. 2001. Managing Wildlife on Golf Courses: A Book Review. Wildlife Society Bulletin 29:1307-1308.
- Kelly, A.M. and C.C. Kohler. 2000. Mammalian growth hormone-releasing hormone stimulates sex steroid production in tilapia. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society 31:416-425.
- Kelly, A.M. and C.C. Kohler. 1999. Cold tolerance and fatty acid composition of striped bass, white bass and their hybrids. North American Journal of Aquaculture 61:278-285. Chosen as “best paper of the year in NAJA.”
- Kelly, A.M. and C.C. Kohler. 1996. Manipulation of spawning cycles in channel catfish in indoor water recirculating systems. The Progressive Fish-Culturist 58:221-228.
- Kelly, A.M., C.C. Kohler, and E.G. Grau. 1996. A mammalian growth hormone-releasing hormone increases serum growth hormone levels and somatic growth at suboptimal temperatures in the tilapias Oreochromis mossambicus and O. niloticus X O. aureus. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society 27:384-401.
- Kelly, A.M., C.C. Kohler, and S.S. Syska. 1996. Verification of completeness of opercular hypophysectomy in tilapia by serum cortisol levels. Journal of Aquatic Animal Health 8:260-264.
- Kelly, A.M. and C.C. Kohler. 1996. Sunshine bass performance in ponds, cages and tanks. The Progressive Fish-Culturist 58:55-58.
- Kelly, A.M. and C.C. Kohler. 1994. Human chorionic gonadotropin injected in fish degrades metabolically and by cooking. World Aquaculture Magazine 25(4):55-57.
- Kelly, A.M. 1993. Eel Culture, a Book Review. The Progressive Fish-Culturist 55(3):214.
- Kohler, C.C. and A. M. Kelly. 1991. Assessing predator-prey balance in impoundments. Pages 259-263 In: Warmwater Fisheries Symposium I. USDA Forest Service General Technical Report RM-207.
- Kelly, A.M., C. C. Kohler, and D. R. Tindall. 1991. Are crustaceans linked to the Ciguatera food chain? Environmental Biology of Fishes 35:413-416.